Chicken Tikka Masala
Author: Dionna Mash
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: Indian (or British!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (Indian spice blend)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie or poached chicken
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup almond (or coconut) milk
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions. Cook until translucent (about 6 minutes)
- Add the garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant (about 1 minute)
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, garam masala, salt and pepper, and rotisserie or poached shredded chicken.
- Stir to combine and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, toss the cucumber and cilantro with the lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Stir in the almond milk to the masala mixture. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice and top with the cucumber relish. Eat with pita bread for dipping if desired.
Recipe by at http://www.lefork.com/2012/10/22/dairy-free-chicken-tikka-masala/