Heyoooooooo, break out that trendy kale ya’ll because you’re putting it in this healthy, crunchy, and equally creamy salad.
Do you ever find yourself eating kale and thinking “SHOULD I BE EATING THIS LEAFY, BITTER, TOO TOUGH AND HARD TO CHEW LETTUCE?!?” I think that all the time you guys. Honestly it never reallyyyyy tastes like it should be edible to me. But I’ve found I can eat the stuff in two ways:
1. Baking it in the oven with a little oil and cayenne (oh hey kale chips).
2. Drenched in a super citrusy or super vinegary salad dressing.
And here we go with an edible kale salad recipe!
Wondering why our bikes are in the background? Our teeny back porch is the only place I get good lighting. Welcome to apartment living.
So when I made this salad I loved it so much I took one triple it’s size to work the next day. And I’m not even lying to try and trick you into making this. It’s that. darn. good. Something about the dressing paired with the sweetness of the apples, creaminess of the avocado, and crunchiness of the radicchio, kale, and almonds, got me totally smitten. Oh and I felt like it was so healthy just eating it was giving me abs.
The great thing about salad is the fact that you can substitute whatever you have on hand and it usually won’t break the recipe. So if you don’t have almonds, toss in walnuts! No golden raisins? Get down with some craisins. Can’t find radicchio? Red or napa cabbage will add a similar crunch and texture! Feel free to play around with this salad because the dressing is bomb bomb bombbbb and will make anything tasty.
And now for her close up.
PS. I used dinosaur kale (yes that’s a real thing), but any kale will do just fine. I personally think dinosaur kale tastes less bitter, butttt that’s just me.
Go, go, go!! And let me know if you feel your abs coming in as you eat this
- For the salad:
- - 1 small bunch of dinosaur kale, stems removed and chopped
- - 1 small head of radicchio chopped
- - 1 avocado, cubed
- - ½ apple sliced into matchsticks
- - ¼ cup almonds chopped (i used raw almonds)
- - ¼ cup golden raisins (I soaked mine in warm water for 5 minutes to get them “plump”)
- For the dressing:
- - 1 garlic minced
- - 1 small shallot finely chopped
- - 1½ tbs. red wine vinegar
- - 2½ or 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil (it depends how oily you like your dressing. Feel free to add less or more)
- - ½ teaspoon dried french thyme
- Toss all of the veggies, nuts, apples, almonds, and raisins into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl (I use a measuring cup), whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing except the olive oil.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil into the dressing until it’s no longer separated.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad and gently tossed until mixed throughout.
- Fold in the cubed avocado.