I know Summer is “technically” over and we all thought we could put away our grill’s for the next couple of months, but for some reason California’s decided to crank up the heat and pretend like Fall isn’t a season. I don’t know if I should be glad it was 85 degrees today, or seriously scared that something is wrong with our planet.
As seen here and here, I’ve been carb loading lately. I don’t know if it’s because I know I don’t have to get into a bathing suit soon, or if I’ve just completely given up on eating well. But. It’s. Seriously. An. Issue. So, I decided to make something that’s light-er yet filling.
Chicken sausage is great. Links are usually just about 110 calories, they’re tasty and they can be incorporated into a ton of dishes. I usually buy one of the many chicken sausage varieties that Trader Joe’s sells, and if I’m not mistaken, this was the garlic and herb one?
Oh and I should probably mention the side dish because you’re probably thinking, “What is that sloppy brown mess?” That is shaved brussel sprouts sautéed with bacon and balsamic vinegar my friends. And. It. Is. Delish. And in season. Can we just talk about how strange the giant stalk of brussel sprouts is that they sell at the grocery store? They’re HUGE! And they would take up too much room in my tiny Corolla. So I opt for the ones cut off the stalk. Or ones that come already shaved in a bag. Thanks Trader Joe’s!
This dinner took me all of about 20 minutes to whip up. And if the heat doesn’t start to subside, I see a lot of versions of this recipe in my future.
- For the Chicken Sausage skewers
- 4 skewers (if wooden soak in water before using)
- 3 fully cooked chicken sausages of your choice
- 1 plum sliced into wedges
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbs chopped, fresh basil
- For the Brussel Sprouts
- 10 oz shaved brussel sprouts
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 slices of bacon chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- ¼ cup water
- For the Peach and Chicken Sausage Skewers
- Slice the chicken sausage into ¼ - ½" slices
- Slice the plum thick enough to be strung onto a skewer
- Soak your skewers in water for 10 minutes (if using wooden skewers)
- In a bowl, toss the chicken sausage, plum slices, olive oil, salt, and pepper
- String the sausage and plum slices onto a skewer, alternating each ingredient.
- Cook on a grill for 8 minutes, rotating ever so often.
- Top with freshly chopped basil.
- For the Brussel Sprouts:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon and cook until very lightly browned about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sprouts and saute until slightly crisp and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour in vinegar and water, cover with a lid and steam until tender, about 5 minutes more.