Oh Monday. This week is going to be fabulous. Mostly because these chicken tostadas are fabulous…and HEALTHY. That’s right. These tortillas are baked. Not fried. Frying is only for special occasions like Saturdays, Thanksgiving turkeys, and the Superbowl. And Thanksgiving and the Superbowl are still pretty far away, so if you desperately need to fry these tortillas for that traditional tostada, you’re going to have to wait until Saturday.
Sooooo I don’t have more than one half-way decent picture for this lovely meal of mine because the sun on my back porch was going down WAY quicker than I anticipated. Welcome to Fall my friends.
This recipe is seriously, seriously, like seriously simple. If you have a 5 year old, I bet they could make it. You will probably want to be the one monitoring taking the tortillas in and out of the oven though.
PS. Click here for my easy poached chicken recipe. If you don’t have time to poach your chicken the day of, you can poach it a day or two in advance and use the leftovers for this recipe. OR you can buy a rotisserie chicken at the store. Just make sure it’s organic and free range!
- 4 corn tortillas
- ¾ cup white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of shredded chicken
- ½ cup store bought or homemade green salsa verde
- 2 handfuls of chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¾ cup shredded cabbage
- white onion, chopped
- greek yogurt (optional)
- avocado (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange the tortillas on a baking sheet, and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the tortillas (don’t use too much cheese because the tortillas might get soggy)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Toss together the chicken, salsa verde, and cumin.
- Take the tortillas out of the oven and spoon the chicken mixture evenly between the tortillas. Bake until heated throughout, about 5-8 minutes
- Top with cabbage, cilantro, onion, avocado, and greek yogurt or toppings of your choice.