You guys, have I driven you crazy yet with how much I LOVE Fall? In case I have, here’s a recipe that doesn’t scream, pumpkin, squash, nutmeg, cinnamon, or soup. This Korean beef bulgogi dish will STILL warm you from the inside out though. Not into beef so much? It’s cool. Chicken or pork will work just fine.
Oh PS. Today is the LAST DAY OF SUMMER. I’m pretty sad about it because it’s becoming almost impossible to get home from work and cook dinner before the sun goes down. In case you haven’t noticed, I use natural light for all of my food pictures. So no sunlight = no pictures. But I will keep on keeping on and find a way to make this work. Ok, enough about me and my commute.
Hello beef bulgogi! Do you love spicy spicy? You can make this dish as hot as you like my friends. And if you don’t want it fiery for everyone, fill a small side dish with Sriracha to dip your beef in. YOLO.
You can serve this recipe over brown or white rice. Or if you’re in my house, you’ll eat it with this (not even close to real rice) cauliflower “rice” recipe because your boyfriend decides on a weekly basis whether or not he’s completely given up carbs.
- 1½ pounds rib eye steak
- ⅛ cup organic soy sauce (for gluten free, use gluten free soy sauce or amino acid)
- 1 tbs. sesame oil (let marinate with a pinch of red pepper flakes)
- 1 tbs. light brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs ginger, minced
- 2 small red onions, cut lengthwise into wedges
- 1 green or red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or any other cooking oil you like to use that holds up well to heat)
- Freeze the beef for 10-15 minutes so that it's easy to slice thinly.
- Slice the beef diagonally into thin strips.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, ginger, sugar, soy sauce and garlic
- Toss the peppers and onions with half of the mixed marinade
- Toss the steak in the rest of the marinade and let sit for 30 minutes
- Heat the avocado oil in a dutch oven or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook the onions and peppers until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the beef (you may or may not need to add a bit more oil to the pan depending how greasy it looks). Cook the meat turning often until just about done. Add back in the onions and peppers. Cook until heated through, about one more minute. Serve over rice.