This weekend the boyfriend and I finally had absolutely no plans. I took full advantage by staying in bed until 1 pm, laying by the pool, and by getting fro-yo…TWICE! Oh and how could I forget, I went and saw Magic Mike. It was ahh-mazing.
For dinner, I knew I wanted to make something for the blog that was summery and delicious. This whole wheat arugula pesto pasta dish ended up being the perfect dish to put a close to our relaxing weekend.
The whole wheat noodles made me feel less guilty about eating pasta (for the second time in three days), and the colorful tomatoes was a lovely reminder that summer is only half over! I plan on spending the rest of these warm months with some more R&R.
I’d like to note that I’m SO thankful for stumbling upon the Pinch of Yum blog. I bought Lindsey’s “Tasty Food Photography” book and already I’ve had my first photo accepted by Tastespotting! I’m now on the hunt for fun accessories (plates, forks, cups, linens, trays, etc.), and decided that I might just start painting my own ceramics! Does anyone have any suggestions for paint that isn’t toxic but still looks really professional on ceramics? Let me know in the comments below
- 2 oz arugula
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tbs pine nuts
- ¼ cup pecorino romano
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz whole wheat spaghetti pasta (mine is from Trader Joes)
- Boil water and cook pasta to package directions. Drain and reserve ⅓ cup of cooking water.
- Toast the pine nuts for 1 minute on the stove over medium heat in a sauce pan.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a food processor blend together, cheese, pine nuts, arugula, and olive oil. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the pesto to a medium sauce pan. Stir in the reserved pasta water, pasta, and cherry tomatoes. Let cook for a few minutes until hot.